I know its mean to be summer, but today is bucketing down and about 20 degrees. I live in Sydney and this weather is starting to confuse me! Anyway, blankets are out and this recipe is perfect for lunch today, enjoy.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 4 cans (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, cut up but not drained
- 4 cans (16 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, cook the turkey, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
What could be easier? Now for the winning cornbread:
Blue Cornbread (Silver Whisk Cooking School)
- 1 cup blue cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Sift together 3 times.
- Stir the eggs and milk into the cornmeal mixture.
- Place the butter into the prepared baking dish and melt in the preheated oven.
- Mix hot, melted butter into the cornmeal mixture.
- Transfer the cornmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake on center rack in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the edges of the cornbread pull away from the sides of the dish and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.
So there you have it – the perfect menu for the perfect get-together! Make sure to have plenty of grated cheese, sour cream, limes and butter handy when serving this! And remember the leftovers! The flavers are always better the next day!
original recipe posted on lonelygourmet